Read our news

The latest news, views, and articles
from the team at Kent Law Group

Cancellation of paper certificates of title from October 11 2021.

With the move to electronic conveyancing continuing, paper Certificates of Title will be abolished on the 11th of October 2021 to make way for an electronic model.

The change to eCTs will not change your ownership of your property, and evidence of your ownership of a property will still be recorded on the Torrens Title Register (“the Register”). For many property owners, the transition to eCTs will have little noticeable effect for them.

After completion of the transition of all titles in NSW to electronic format, your title will become a virtual record in an electronic register called the Register and your printed CT will lose its legal validity. If you sell your property, it will be transferred to the new owner’s name via a process of electronic conveyancing on the PEXA platform (Property Exchange Australia), which is already widely used in Australia.



If you own your property but it is subject to a registered mortgage, that title will automatically become an electronic title (or paperless title) controlled by the mortgagee (the bank).

Effectively, the paper certificate of title will be cancelled, and “control” of the electronic certificate of title will be given to the registered first mortgagee bank.  Instead of relying on a paper title in your hands for control it will be more or less controlled by whoever is registered as security holder electronically.


If you have any questions regarding these changes please contact our office on (02) 4323 1900.

The Australian government has introduced the JobKeeper program to mitigate the effects on the economy due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The JobKeeper allows employers to retain its workforce and employees by paying an amount of $1,500 per fortnight before tax.  The employees retain their employment relationship with the employer and the payments are made through the ATO and the employer rather than Centrelink.

An employer needs to enrol in the program, and both the employer and the employees have to be eligible according to the criteria specified by the government.

Superannuation wil continue to be paid for the employee, however legislation is still being formulated in this space.

If you are an employer or employee with questions about the legislation that has been passed recently, please contact Ivan Kent of our office to obtain clear and pragmatic advice in this new environment.


Many businesses across Australia are bought and sold every year, and it is common for existing employees to continue working in the same role after the sale. There are several legal considerations to be aware of, for both employers and employees, when a change in ownership occurs. This also holds true in respect of many of the ordinary dealings of business, including outsourcing, that lead to a shift in businesses’ operational requirements. The obligations of past employers and new employers can shift depending on the relationship between the entities, and this can affect employee entitlements and service recognition.
Continue reading

Magann v Trustees of the Roman Catholic Church of the Diocese of Parramatta [2019] NSWSC 1453

This case involves the recent decision on 28th October 2019 relating to a historical sexual assault that occurred in the 1980s. The case was initially found to be statute barred through the Limitation Act 1969 (NSW) which had prevented Mr Magann, the plaintiff, from making his claim in court. Following the Royal Commission Report, however, the Limitation Amendment (Child Abuse) Act 2016 (NSW) amended the Limitation Act and from 17 March 2016 limitation periods for child abuse actions were removed.
Continue reading

The way we shop, consume and find new products has been drastically re-invented by the internet. E-Commerce has increasingly become a powerful tool for Australians to shop from the comfort of their own homes, but also has provided opportunities for entrepreneurs to conduct their business online. Conducting business online comes with many obligations that are crucial to be aware of in order to prevent deviations from the Australian Consumer Law.

Australian Consumer Law (ACL)

The ACL applies to both brick and mortar stores and online businesses equally and applies to any Australian business that sells goods and services. One of the ACL’s main purposes is to ensure that when you buy a product or service, it will work.
Continue reading

Case Watch

Falcken & Weule [2019] FamCAFC 140 (16 August 2019)
Did the primary judge err in concluding that the property interests be divided 53 per cent to 47 per cent in favour of the wife?
Case overview: This case involves the Court’s reasoning in the division of property when the pool of assets includes a disability insurance payment. The Court decided to not alter the finding of the primary judge in the division of 53% to 47% in favour of the wife.
Continue reading

Case Watch: October 2019

Callaway v Callaway; The Estate of Aileen Margaret Callaway [2019] NSWSC 1275
CIVIL PROCEDURE – Probate and administration of estates
Case overview: This case involves the difficulty of navigating a strained relationship between two brothers over the probate of their late mother’s estate. Each party sought differing outcomes 1) the granting of probate to one of the brothers as their eldest brother had died and therefore the probate is passed over, or 2) the appointment of an independent administrator.
This case highlighted the primary concern of the Court is to ensure the estate will be efficiently and properly administered according to the terms of the will: Mavrideros v Mack (1998) 45 NSWLR 80 (at [107] and [108]); (1988) NSWCA 286.

Continue reading

Elder Abuse and Wills

Elder Abuse and Wills

It is an unfortunate reality that elder abuse occurs in Australia. The NSW Department of Family and Community Services has defined elder abuse as including financial abuse, where an elderly person’s assets are improperly used.

Continue reading

Granny Flat Agreements

A granny flat arrangement can be a useful and convenient arrangement to enable an elderly parent or relative to live closer to the rest of the family, but also accommodate privacy and security.

Continue reading

The Central Coast Law Society has donated $4,000 to Rondeley, a Domestic Violence Program based on the Central Coast. Rondeley assists women by providing crisis accommodation and finding long-term housing for women and children escaping domestic violence.

Continue reading

A recent decision by the High Court of Australia has determined that a man who donated his sperm to a friend is indeed a legal parent of the child.

The question “Who is a parent?” is one that has never been easily answered in Australia. Is it about biology? Is it about who the child views as their parent? Is it about who is involved in the child’s life? Is it about what the intention is at the time of conception?

Continue reading

A Sydney woman’s Facebook post has gone viral, after she was fined $337 because her passenger was using Facetime whilst she was driving. In her Facebook post, the driver writes:

“Tell your passengers to stay off their phones while you are driving, I got fined because my passenger was on FaceTime.”

Continue reading

In Court proceedings generally, parties do not have to have a lawyer and are entitled to represent themselves or ‘self-represent’. This can become a problem when it comes to a Trial and the parties need to be cross-examined, especially in circumstances where there is a history of the self-represented party perpetrating family violence upon the other.

Continue reading

Separating from your spouse or partner is a very difficult time at best, it is made even more complicated when there is an ‘asset pool’ to be divided between you both. Ideally, you will be able to agree on the values of the assets and how they should be divided between you so that it is fair on your both.

Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case, sometimes your ex may just be plain difficult to deal with, or sometimes they really believe that you are the one being unreasonable. Whatever the reason, it isn’t an easy process to go through.

Continue reading

Do you require advice or representation in your family law matter? Our Solicitor, Laura Burge, specialises in family law matters and can assist you in reaching an agreement with your former spouse or representation in Family Court proceedings.

Continue reading

Expert Evidence

Often evidence is given by experts in family law proceedings. These experts can include, psychologists who can give evidence in relation to circumstances of adults and children in parenting matters, and registered valuers, who can be called upon to give an expert opinion as to the value of property or other items.

Continue reading

If you are going through a separation or divorce, it is important to have an understanding of how the assets and liabilities of the relationship are divided between the parties. At Brennan Tipple Partners, we like to use a four step process:

Continue reading

Community Service Orders

A Community Service Order “CSO” can be made by the Court under the Crimes (Sentencing Procedure) Act as an alternative to full time imprisonment. A CSO requires the offender to complete a certain number of hours of community service work and can only be imposed for an offence which can be punishable by imprisonment.

Continue reading

What is an Habitual Traffic Offender?

The Court may declare you as an Habitual Traffic Offender if you have been convicted in a NSW Court of three “relevant offences” in the past five years. The offences need to have been committed on different occasions.If you have been declared a Habitual Traffic Offender, the RMS will disqualify you from driving for a further five years in addition to any time the Court has disqualified you from driving.

Continue reading


If you want to relocate with your child, you can make an application to the Federal Circuit Court of Australia or Family Court of Australia asking that the Court make orders allowing you to relocate with your child. The application can be made before you relocate, or after the other parent has relocated with your child if you did not consent or were not aware of the relocation.

Continue reading